Friday, May 12, 2006

Training: Base Building

I found a good article on Triathletemag.com website in the Tips & Training section titled "Building Blocks (from March 2004)" by. Mark Allen.

Based on this article I calculated my maximum aerobic heart rate to be 144. This is the heart rate I should be at or below during my base training period. I determined this number by subtracting my age from 180. There were also some other factures to take into consideration when determining my aerobic heart rates so read the article before determining yours. (That ends my public service announcement for today!)

I guess I'm going to need a HR Monitor now!

I have also decided to cut back on my strength training. I've been going to the gym 2 to 3 days a week for the past two years primarily weight training. So now I'm going to cut back to 1 to 2 days a week and work lighter weights and increase repetitions to 12 to 15. I know its still real early in my training, but I find that "I feel much better" after running and biking than I did after weight training.

No comments: