Sunday, December 17, 2006

What a Deal! I think?

I went for a drive during my lunch hour at work the other day and passed a small bike shop. I wasn't looking for anything, I was just passing the time. It was a small shop, they had several mountain bikes up front and a rack of road bikes in the back. They didn't even have the lights on in that part of the shop. I walked to the back and that's when I spotted it, aero bars sticking out of the rack. It was a Felt S25 and the price tag read "Was $1500 Now $1200. " The shop guy comes over, turned on the lights, and we started talking about the bike. He said that it was a 2004 and he could do a little better on the price if I was interested because there was not much of market for Tri bikes in that area. He offered to take it off the rack and inflate the tires if I wanted to take it for a ride. I was short on time so I told him if I were interested I would be back. I did a little research and the bike retailed for $1700 back then.

Under $1200 for a 2004 Felt S25... what do you think?
Christmas is almost here... and it’s my size!
Did I mention it’s new... the components are still covered in that blue protective plastic stuff.


Colors Silver
Sizes 700 x 56
Frame Felt 7005 custom-formed aerodynamic design. Area downtube and custom aero monostay rear. Felt Airfoil carbon fiber fork.
Fork Aero Tri staight Carbon blades w/carbon steer tube
Headset TH integrated 1"
Shifters Shimano Dura-Ace, 18-speed
F / Derailleur Shimano 105
R / Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
Crankset RPM carbon w/CNC chainrings
Freewheel Shimano 12-23 9s
Brake Levers Tektro bar end type
Brakes Alloy dual pull- cartridge brake shoes
Saddle Selle Italia Tri-matic
Seat Post Felt design Alloy micro-adjust, zero offset
Stem Felt alloy threadless
Handlebar Profile Design Aerolite bar, Felt bullhorn style bar
Grips Felt Cork ribbon tape w/gel
Rims Alex ALX-320 wheelset
Tires Hutchinson Carbon Comp 2000, 700x23C, kevlar

2 comments:

:) said...

John,

It seems like a decent deal, but I would have two complaints:

1. The Alex wheelset is something that you will want to upgrade soon. I have heard of lots of people being unhappy with these wheels. No personal experience, just what I hear.

2. The components are 9 speed. Shimano is not even making 9 speed components anymore, so eventually these will be hard to get and expensive.

I think in the $1200 price range, you might be able to find something with the current 10 speed components from shimano and a better wheelset. I would shop around if I were you. Check craigslist.com. Used bikes are good deals if you can find one that has been taken care of.

Good luck!

All of that said, if you like the bike and it fits (most importantly), go for it.

John said...

Flatman

Thanks for the good advice on the bike. It is a good price, but I’m sure that there have been many improvements in frames and components in the last two years. There are just so many options out there that it can be overwhelming. I’m still on the fence about a Tri bike or another road bike. I guess the search continues.

Tri-John